For a student with a learning disability, obtaining accommodations in college is a necessity. It’s also a process and if you are not prepared for it, you may not get all you need. The process can take longer putting you at risk for not having accommodations for classes or tests.
You can avoid all this if you are prepared to request accommodations and know how to self-advocate. The webinar, Self-Advocacy for Higher Education is designed to help students with learning disabilities prepare to self-disclose in college and get the accommodations they need. When you can explain those needs, you can get the accommodations easily. The better you explain your needs, the better the outcome will be.
Ideal to be used by parents, students, and educators, the step-by-step process will easily help students develop the self-awareness and knowledge needed to move through the college accommodation process.
The solution: a simple, practical, step by step method to help students become more self-aware and communicate effectively about their disability.
Key Concepts Covered Include:
- Learn the best method to coach your student to self-advocate
- Identify the reasons self-advocacy is so important in college for students with disabilities
- The consequences of poor self-advocacy skills
- Learn the seven steps needed to prepare to self-advocate and request accommodations in college
- Tips to make self-advocating easier and more effective